We hope to keep the NHEST site moving, adding new features. To help guide you
through our additions, we have developed this list of recent new developments.
You might let us know how far back you'd like us
to go in listing new offerings.
- We have a book out. Follow blind and visually impaired guides
through the fascinating world of non-visual nature.
- Now we have a newsletter. Announcements, news, tips, reports,
- And our species list for Steve Coleman's 2004 birdwalk at
- Coming soon an online science magazine.
- Coming soon another virtual nature center -- this one for the west.
- Thanks again to the Maren Foundation for their continued support.
- Lending library We are developing a lending library of books on
science and natural history for those who have text scanning or someone to read to them. We
hope to put a lot more on the list as time goes on. We welcome your suggestions.
- Keep watching
for updates on our Science News Front and Calendar.
- We have large print, computer disk, and a few Braille copies of a short key to trees,
primarily in the northeast. If you would like one of these, email us at
firstname.lastname@example.org or call 207-327-1453.
- We have received a grant from the Maren Foundation to help us expand our offerings. Our
ability to handle onsite programs is greatly expanded. Check how we
can help you. We have other plans also underway.
- Using the Maren grant, we have developed the Penquis
Virtual Nature Center, a cyber site stressing non visual cues to the learning and enjoyment
of nature and representing a central Maine ecosystem.
Visit us, but remember we're still under construction. We wouldn't want you to trip over a loose
cyber-board or sit on some virtual nails someone has left lying around.
- Nature trails
- A museum detailing the natural history of the area
- A lecture series
- A reference library
- Question and answer and discussion opportunities
January and February, 2002
January 28, 2002
- Bobby accessibility rules have
been updated. We're trying to get current.
Let us know of any problems with your browsers or screen readers.
May 21, 2001
April 1, 2001
March 21, 2001
March 12, 2001